Primary Identification Required When Applying for your License

Gather one original or certified copy of the following documents:
  • Certified United States birth certificate, including territories and District of Columbia
  • Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561

A birth certificate must be issued by a government agency. Hospital birth certificates cannot be accepted.

Please come prepared to present one of the listed identification documents as proof of citizenship or legal presence.

When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders, or divorce decrees must be provided to tie the name on the primary identification to the name the customer would like to place on the driver license or identification card.

If presenting a valid U.S. Passport and the name on your passport is your current name, you are not required to present additional name change documents.

Proof of Social Security Number

Gather one original of the following documents that show your complete name and social security number:
  • SSA-1099
  • Any 1099 (not handwritten)
  • None - see note below

I don't have a Social Security Number

Proofs of Residential Address

Gather TWO different documents from the following list showing your residential address: (internet printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable)

Note: Your current driver license or ID card may notused as proof of residential address. Proof must come from two different types of source.

  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
  • Florida Voter Registration Card
  • Florida Vehicle Registration or TitlePrint a duplicate registration at
  • Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)Print a duplicate registration
  • Two proofs of residential address from applicant's parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, along with (see next)
  • A statement from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides, combined with two proofs of their residential address (see below)
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
  • Automobile Payment Booklet
  • Selective Service Card
  • Medical or health card with address listed
  • Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill
  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 form or 1099 form
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by the Certification of Address Form (see next)
  • Certification of Address Form combined with a letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house (see above)
  • Utility bills, not more than two months old
  • Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
  • Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
  • Transients – Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff’s department

Courtesy of Florida DMV

For More Information visit What To Bring.